The Woodman Inn was built in 1664 but was probably known as The Tollgate in 1700s. It was purchased by Charles Bradshaw, a Hatfield baker and brewer in 1851, who sold out to Edward Pryor and Percy Reid in 1888.
The premises were shown as a grocers shop as well as a beer retailer during the 19th century and in 1881 the licensee George Dickens also gave his occupation as a gardener.
The 1891 census shows George Dickens (54) publican and labourer, Harriet Dickens (58) wife, and Annie Day (24) niece. c 1890.
With great thanks, this image and information used courtesy of the Brookmans Park Newsletter www.brookmans.com on behalf of the North Mymms Local History Society who supplied the image and information.
Various owners implemented improvements to The Woodman Inn. These included :
- A 12m x 4m Cellar
- A New Kitchen
- New Toilets
- Building The Carvery Restaurant in 2001
- A large car park
In April 2006 The Woodman Inn became a Dunning Freehouse. Since then several improvements have been made. These include :